The Mid-Atlantic Baptist Network will offer disaster relief training at First Baptist Church, Upper Marlboro from 8:30 to 4:30 pm on Oct. 18. This training is for new volunteers seeking to serve on Southern Baptist Disaster Relief response teams as well as current volunteers seeking to update their skills.
• Introduction to Disaster Relief—This overview class is required for all new volunteers. In addition to this class, new volunteers will also select at least one specialty class such as feeding, recovery or recovery administration in order to fulfill their basic training requirements.
• Feeding Unit—This class will prepare participants to set up and operate a mass care field kitchen. Emphasis is given to sanitation and health issues dealing with food preparation.Volunteers will complete both classroom and outdoor hands-on sections.
• Recovery Unit—This is an overview of various types of recovery work including chainsaw, flood recovery and temporary emergency repairs. Emphasis will be given to safety and safe operating procedures.This class may include some outdoor hands-on learning.
• Damage Assessment and Recovery Administration—This class will give an overview of how homes are assessed for damages following a disaster. It will also prepare volunteers to serve in a recovery field office providing necessary administrative support to the Disaster Relief recovery teams serving in the community.
• The cost is $20 for returning volunteers and $30 for new volunteers. The cost includes lunch, materials, background security check and photo ID tag.