Part of setting a high value for evangelism and helping develop a climate for evangelism is to have the leaders of the church modeling engagement with lost people.
Paul and other early church leaders led by their pace-setting examples, not merely their words. By the fact you are reviewing this material, you can assist your church as a leader by modeling personal evangelism.
People do more from what they see than what they hear. Paul said follow me as I follow Christ. The senior pastor and the leaders of the church need to be modeling what they would like to see their followers doing. Pastors do not have to be the strongest evangelist in the church, but he has to demonstrate that he is engaged with lost people regularly.
The pastor’s personal evangelism has the single strongest positive impact on whether or not a church is evangelistically effective. Pastors of the church do not have to be the strongest in every area of ministry, including evangelism, but it is imperative that they be engaged inside and outside their regular ministerial duties with seeing lost people coming to know Christ.
1 You set the pace as an example even if evangelism is not your strongest practice of the Christian faith.
2 Your people hear your words and follow your actions, so living and sharing examples is important.
1 Corinthians 11:1, Acts 17:1-4; 17:17-22; 1 Thessalonians 1:5; 2:1-12; 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2; 2 Timothy 1:6-10; 2:1-19, 23-26; 3:14-15; 4:1-5
• Engage lost people within the context of church functions and duties.
• Share ways the guys are connecting with lost people both inside and outside of the formal functions of the pastor’s role.
• Take someone with you at times when you anticipate sharing your faith (your contacts, theirs or with an unknown person).
• Keep a list with you on paper or in your mind of people you are praying for that need to receive Christ.
• Tell stories appropriately of both your planting and harvesting efforts.
• Take a few minutes to prayerfully consider your ministry to lost people both inside and outside the normal services of the church. Is there someone the Lord may bring to mind that you can focus your attention in the next couple of weeks?
• Find a personal encourager and accountability person to help you lead by modeling personal evangelism.